Bond It RAPID-SET Cement-based Ceramic Tile Adhesive Grey 20Kg
A fast-setting, thick or thin-bed adhesive for bonding ceramic tiles and mosaics to walls and floors. Because of these fast-acting properties, tiles and mosaics can be grouted and suitable for use in approximately 2-3 hours after fixing (at normal room temperature). For interior use, particularly in locations which are subject to occasional wetting, e.g. domestic showers, saunas and bathrooms.
CE Approved: Conforms to EN12004 Type C1F.
Ideal for bonding to concrete, cement/sand screeds, building blocks, brickwork and primed wooden surfaces. Certain surfaces may need to be suitably primed prior to fixing. Suitable for interior use including Note: This product is not suitable for swimming pools or areas subject to constant water immersion.
The substrate must be clean, structurally sound and free from dust, oil, grease and any other contamination that may prevent adhesion.
Concrete: Ensure that these are dry and cured through. Freshly laid concrete can take up to 3months to fully cure. Do not apply tiles until it is fully cured.
Painted Surfaces: Any loose or water sensitive paint should be removed. Any subsequent bonds to a painted surface are only as strong as the paint film.
Rough and Uneven Surfaces: These should be levelled with a suitable levelling compound and allowed to dry before tiling.
Other Surfaces: RAPID-SET can be used on wooden floors, glazed surfaces and gloss/eggshell painted surfaces but must be used in conjunction with Bond It PRIMER AND FLEXIBLE ADMIXTURE. Existing timber floors should be boarded over with 15mm exterior grade plywood rigidly fixed by screws at 300mm centres. Non-porous surfaces, such as existing tiles or gloss/eggshell painted surfaces, should be primed with Bond It PRIMER AND
Underfloor Heating: RAPID-SET is suitable for use with underfloor heating but must be used in conjunction with Bond It PRIMER AND FLEXIBLE ADMIXTURE. Turn off heating 48 hours before tiling and turn on 48 hours after completion. From a low setting gradually increase the temperature by 5C per day.
Anhydrite/calcium sulphate screeds: should be sanded and vacuumed before priming with 2 coats of Bond It PRIMER AND FLEXIBLE ADMIXTURE and left to dry for 24 hours prior to application.
A 20Kg bag of RAPID-SET should be mixed with 4 Litres of clean water using a mechanical stirrer. Mix to form a soft, lump-free consistency. Do not mix more adhesive than can be used in a 15 minute period. In hot weather the pot life will be reduced. Never add more water to a mixture that has begun to set. When using PRIMER AND FLEXIBLE
ADMIXTURE, refer to separate dilution rates on the pack.
How To Use
- Taking account of surface irregularities, use a suitable sized notched trowel that will give 100% coverage of adhesive to the back of the tile.
- Press and twist the tiles into place ensuring a minimum bed thickness of 3mm.
- For deep studded tiles, large format tiles or for wet areas, it will be necessary to butter the back of the tile with adhesive to improve adhesion.
- Remove and inspect the back of a tile occasionally to ensure adequate bedding is being achieved.
- Expansion joints must be provided according to the relevant part of BS5385.
- ‘Dot and Dab’ is not a recommended method of application.
- The final set will occur after approximately 2 hours
depending on temperature. Clean off the surplus adhesive with a damp cloth before it sets.
- It is important that the tiles are left undisturbed for a minimum of 2 hours after fixing at normal
- Do not use at temperatures below 5C or in conditions of extreme heat.
Grouting may commence after tiles are sufficiently firm to accept light foot traffic – approximately 2-3 hours after fixing.
This will vary according to the condition of the substrate. A 20Kg bag will cover approximately 6-7m2 with a 3mm bed thickness.